Think Sustainable, Think Green!
Posted on July 27 2023
As the summer season approaches, it's the perfect time to embrace a greener and more sustainable lifestyle. In this blog post, we'll share some simple yet effective tips on how to live greener this summer. By making conscious choices and incorporating eco-friendly practices into your daily routine, you can contribute to a healthier planet while enjoying the sunny days to the fullest.
Opt for Sustainable Outdoor Furniture
As you plan to spend more time outdoors during the summer, consider investing in sustainable outdoor furniture. Look for pieces made from responsibly sourced materials like recycled plastic, reclaimed wood, or bamboo. These eco-friendly options not only reduce the demand for new resources but also add a touch of natural beauty to your outdoor space.
Here are some of our recommended vendors for sustainable outdoor furniture:
1. Vinterior - one of the most sustainable garden furniture brands in the UK as it is a vintage furniture marketplace. They only work with selected professional sellers to ensure that the customers can find products that match their values. They offer over 25 styles, including Mid-Century, Art Deco, Retro, Modern Scandinavian, Shabby Chic, Bauhaus, Industrial, Boho, Rustic, British, French, Italian, and Chinese Antiques.
2. Nkuku - a unique eco-friendly outdoor furniture brand in the UK. They work with artisans from all over the world and all their environmentally-friendly is handmade by them which makes each piece, not a mass-market item. All the products are made from natural, recycled, or reclaimed materials and they try to recycle as much waste as possible at their head office.
3. Envirobuild - one of the best sustainable non-toxic outdoor furniture brands in the UK. They are committed to not only to sustainability but also regeneration. This means every time you purchase a furniture from them, you can make a positive impact to the environment. They also have decking, cladding, fencing, and porcelain paving products are made with raw materials or recycled materials.
Embrace Energy-Efficient Appliances
With the temperatures rising, it's natural to use more energy to keep your home cool. However, you can minimize your energy consumption by opting for energy-efficient appliances. Look for products with the Energy Star label, which signifies that they meet strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the government. From air conditioners to fans, making this switch will not only save you money but also reduce your carbon footprint.
Grow Your Own Greenery
If you have a garden or even a small balcony, consider growing your own herbs, fruits, and vegetables. Homegrown produce not only tastes better but also eliminates the need for excessive packaging and transportation. Plus, gardening is a fantastic way to connect with nature and reduce stress. Even if you don't have much space, you can explore vertical gardening or use window boxes to grow your favorite greens.
Dig into your new gardening adventure with this step-by-step guide to help you make the most of your landscape. Here are 10 Easy Steps to Create Gardens in Your Yard for the first time.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
The three R's are timeless principles for a reason - they work wonders for the environment. When shopping for homeware or any other products, choose items with minimal packaging and opt for reusable options whenever possible. Say no to single-use plastics and carry your reusable bags and bottles. Additionally, don't forget to recycle materials such as paper, glass, and plastic to divert waste from landfills.
Invest in Eco-Friendly Cleaning Products
Maintaining a clean home is essential, but conventional cleaning products can contain harmful chemicals that harm both your health and the environment. Instead, switch to eco-friendly cleaning products that use natural ingredients and are biodegradable. They are just as effective as traditional cleaners but without the negative impact on the planet.
These are the best eco-cleaning products in the UK - tried and tested:
1. Clean Living - offers compact, well-presented, and non-toxic formulas with prices starting at around £6. If you're looking for an eco-cleaning range that offers very tailored products for individual areas around the home such as glass, kitchen worktops, drains, carpets, and more then this brand is well worth a try.
2. Nookary - sells a range of eco-friendly probiotic refillable products that come in a glass bottle to start and you can order pouches to top up. The range is made with minimum preservatives and stabilizers, so you do need to use the diluted formula within three weeks for best results. You can choose from air fresheners, all-purpose cleaners, bundles and starter kits as well as carpet cleaners.
Support Local and Sustainable Brands
When shopping for homeware and other summer essentials, prioritize local and sustainable brands. Supporting local businesses not only boosts the economy but also reduces the carbon footprint associated with long-distance shipping. Look for products made from eco-friendly materials and manufactured using environmentally responsible practices.
This summer, let's commit to living greener and embracing a more sustainable lifestyle. By making conscious choices when it comes to outdoor furniture, energy consumption, gardening, waste management, and shopping habits, we can all contribute to a cleaner and healthier planet. Together, let's make this summer the greenest one yet!
Remember, small actions, when multiplied by many, can make a significant impact. So, let's go green and enjoy a wonderful summer season while caring for the planet we call home. Happy summer, everyone!